Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Jim: Topic I: Q3

Similarly, I propose the following as addressing the issue of equality as it relates to the existence of God. I've stated before that I believe God is everything and then some. God is all we perceive and more. Allow me to elaborate on a mini-step toward that:

What unit of life is most significant? There are cells and tissues and organs that are all alive. There are organisms. There are families, societies, and ecosystems. There are also atoms & molecules and planets & galaxies, but these are not living.

Among the units of life, we most often view the self as being in the organism. And, that's fair enough. But there has been some pretty serious stuff, I think by William James, examining our behavior in groups that suggests there is a self in a group. When the Buddhists say that self is an illusion, it is not because they don't believe there are organisms, it is because they think that organisms are not the most significant unit of living thing.

I'd be interested to push on this a little more, but specifically for the topic of equality I would say this: Because God is all things, all people are a part of God and it is natural or right for all people to be treated equally.

[Note: Remember this question is not about religion, its about God. I'm a Christian, and my view of God is derived almost exclusively from Christians & Christian thinkers, nonetheless under this question, I feel the least constrained to address "standard" beliefs.]

No comments: